Monday, February 12, 2007

Falls and Laguna Azul

Our second day in Pucón we went to this place that was only 2 or 3 kilometers from the place we were staying. I actually had no idea where we were going I just jumped in the car with the whole family and we ended up going to this place with waterfalls and a blue lake (Laguna Azul).

There were still a few residual clouds from the previous day and it was still pretty cool this particular morning. Even with the clouds I found the view of the volcano from the parking lot of this place worth taking a photo of, especially since I wanted to capture the foreground as well. I thought the foreground offered a typical glimpse of rural chile with fields, an older car, and a couple of wooden shacks used as makeshift businesses to sell empanadas, french fries and bread to tourists.
The first view of one of the falls. There were four waterfalls flowing into this lake. The three others are opposite this one and to the left of this fall is the outlet to this lake where the stream continues. It looked like such a great place to go swimming (especially as it warmed up while we were there), but swimming wasn't allowed, probably as a result of strong under currents.
A picture of Sita and I (Hari) in front one waterfall. The hand rails were constructed of logs. This was the point where I really felt the desire to go swimming in the lake, because it looked like it was deep enough that I could have jumped in from here and it would have been a nice long journey in too (ie. lot's of airtime).
In what I thought was an effort to cross the lake in the above photos we walked up stream a-ways and encountered the "Laguna Azul" or blue lake. Sita knew we were headed to the blue lake but for some reason I didn't know anything about the agenda that day. I'm conversant in Spanish, but sometimes things are just too fast for me to understand even between Sita and her family, and the agenda that day was one of them. I think Sita had thought I had understood everything. But once again this was an opportunity for me to have another pleasant surprise. This first picture does not do the "Laguna Azul" justice.
The stream looked pretty cool as it flowed into the Laguna Azul as you can see here. This photo is also the closest to the color that the lake looked to our eyes (as opposed to the lens of the camera) but this photo still does not do the lake justice.
This photo is perhaps the coolest we got of the lake. I hope that it is awe inspiring, but whatever the reaction is imagine that reaction in real life with the lake being a deeper darker saphire blue.
This view of the lake with Jorge in front offers a closer representation of the true color as well.
Sita and I on one of the wooden bridges over the stream that feeds the waterfall featured in the 2nd and 3rd photos.
This following two photos show a view of two of the falls from the above bridge.

A view of the first water fall while by its side.
The three waterfalls opposite the first. I took this picture with the camera about one inch from the level of the lake.
Hanging out next to the falls on some rocks in the lake. From here you could see and hear why no swimming is allowed, the sound and sight of the falls and the waves in the lake are strong.

A view of the surrounding area.
"What's Hari pointing at?"
The volcano, again.

1 comment:

ami said...

Should be called Peace Lagoon!