Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Climbing the Volcano

Here's the post you've all been waiting for (whether you knew it or not). Some of you must have thought to yourselves "well they can't spend a week staring at that volcano and not go up it". If you thought this then you won't be disappointed.

In order to climb the volcano you have to go with a tour company. I took this picture of the volcano from the vantage point of the tour company, before we left that morning. The tour company we chose was "Enjoy Tour" we asked the cave tour guide for a recomendation and he gave two, this was one of them. He said some places employ guides that like to party and get drunk at night but this place is reputable. We asked in a couple other places just to see the prices and their prices were about the same. You'll pay 38,000 pesos to scale the mountain plus an additional 5,000 when you get there. This is about $80 each. Here Sita is putting her gear on getting ready for the days journey.
We drove to the base of the volcano in this van, past a few of the ski lifts.
From here you could get a great view of another two volcanoes.
The extra 5,000 pesos you need at the volcano is to pay for a ride on the chair lift. The lift is not a high speed one, but it saves you one hour of hiking. I took this picture while we were on the lift.
At the top of the lift there was a nice view of lake Villarica.
The sight of the other volcanoes was also spectacular from the top of the lift, and this was before we even began 4-5 hours of climbing.

Once at the top of the lift we had to put the crampons (spikes) on the bottom of our boots for walking in the snow.As we zig-zagged our way up the view got better and better. This poto is from only 20 minutes into the trip.

Sita says this photo is good to show how steep the terrain was.
One of our fellow trekkers from Brazil took this photo of us while we were taking our first break. Sita was the only Chilean on the trek in our group, the rest were from England, Brazil and Israel.
As you can see we were not the only group on the mountain that day.
It was pretty cloudy for the first two hours of our trek as you can see from this photo. Sita is the second one from the left.
Just a few more meters up and the clouds had cleared, I started falling behind because I was taking pictures. We had split into two groups, with 6 in ours (the other group didn't end up making it to the top, they dropped out early). Despite being in the first group I had already asked the guide if we could go a little faster, because it seemed like our pace was so slow. His response was that there was two more hours before we reached the top. After taking this photo I went at a jogging pace to catch up, after that I didn't feel inclined to ask for a quicker pace. I got so out of breath and I really felt it in my legs, I realized it was like running up three flights of stairs just to catch up, and if we picked up the pace it would be like jogging up stairs all the way to the top. The top is around 2800 meters (9100 feet) high, not that high by New Mexico standards or Chilean standards, for that matter, but considering the base of the ski basin is at only 1200 meters, we must have climbed a fair way.
A view from when we finally got above the clouds, its like a view you' get from an airplane.
Watch out or this crazy dude will get you with his "ice ak". Sometimes the guides would speak in a broken english and they consistently referred to the "ice ax" as an "ice ak". I guess they thought "ice ax" was plural. I didn't have a pair of sun glasses so one of the guides lent me these bug-eyed goggles. Also I was so hot from all the climbing I had to strip down under the jacket.
More great views.


The "ice ak" is always in the hand facing the top of the mountain for balance purposes.
We made it! Sita and I at the top of the volcano. We must have held our breaths for this photo, because the rest of the time we were covering our mouths and noses with our shirts because the smoke from the volcano is not good for your health. It contains high levels of sulfur and it feels like it is burning your insides when you breath it in. We were only alowed to be at the top for about ten minutes because of the smoke.
Pictures of the crater. You couldn't see straight in, but I did have the opportunity to see some lava being thrown up. I came up and went down so quick that I barely even realized what it was, and then I regretted not being able to take a photo. I had ventured closer to the crater than anyone else, at that point so I was the only one who saw the lava. It wasn't red hot, but rather greyish half-solid/half-liquid blobs. The sound of the volcano was really cool, I'll show anyone who wants some short videos I took at the top when I return.


Sita from the top of the volcano looking out on lake Villarica.
Ahh the way down. What took us 4-5 hours to climb took only 45 minutes to descend. That's because you get to slide down. Woo-hoo! They provide you with this gear that you strap to your "bum" (as the britains put it) and teach you how to use your ice ax as a brake.

Careful not to slide off the edge though.
Sita was asked to lead the way for part of the way down. We did have to walk a little.
A view of one of the steepest slides. Previous trekkers carved it out for us, which made it easy for us to use the brake against the side wall. We were advised to use the brake the whole way down this particular track. I wanted a lot of speed so used the brake initially then stopped, but then I gained so much speed that I almost lost control and I didn't want to roll over my ice ax so I started using it as a break again. Sita went after me and was applauded by the guide as a model for how to do it properly.

In this photo Sita is showing how to use your ice ax if you need an absolute stop (rather than just a reduction in speed). It's a good thing to because this is one of the places you could slide off the edge and you will not be landing straight in the lake which is so beautifully illustrated in this photo.
Go hiking on the snow in the morning and haning on the "beach" of the lake later in the afternoon, Pucón has it all for the tourist, just make sure you save up (it's about as expensive as a visit to a vacation town in the US, with somethings more expensive and some things less expensive).
A couple of views of the volcano and one of the lake from the van on the way down.


1 comment:

ami said...

Good Lord...it all flips me out...I never,never imagined so many strange and wonderful adventures. Please be careful tho'...I could just imagine you careeing off the edge. (btw, I may not get to look online again but once more until about Feb. 23 or so...boo hoo. Can't wait to see the next wk's adventures tho'!)