Sunday, November 25, 2007

Snowy Border

Little did we know, that shortly after encountering the snow we'd be at the Chilean-Bolivian border. This is the place where I was wearing shorts and a t-shirt three days earlier.

"Hi from Bolivia."
Sita was talking to the French couple while having breakfast outside our jeep. The man spoke fluent English and a bit of Spanish but the women only spoke French.
They closed the toad on the Chilean side because of the snow, so we had plenty of time for photo ops while waiting at the border.

The bathroom looked different surrounded by snow.



The Bolivian flag.


Filling up the tank.








Within minutes a lot of this snow melted away.This is the same viewpoint as the photo above with much of the snow melted.
"Welcome back to Chile."

There were road signs on the Chilean side of the border.
Standing in both Bolivia and Chile.
This mound extended a couple hundred feet from the border station and represented the border between Chile and Bolivia.
Taking a picture of ourselves. As you can see I got slightly sunburned. At first I couldn't figure out how, with sometimes cloudy weather and having spent all day in the jeep. Following the stream of thought about how sun could've reached me inside the jeep, I realized it reached me as it reflected off the water as we drove across the salt flats the previous day.
We waited an inordinate amount of time for the Chilean border to re-open, so I filled my time by walking up part of the mountain in the background of this photo, and by walking up an down in a zig-zag across this mound of dirt. Sita thought I was being juvenile, but, with nothing better to do, I thought it would be cool to be able to claim that I'd been in and out of Chile and Bolivia a hundred times. As the first vehicles of the day approached the border from the Chilean side, signaling the reopening of roads, I finished the task I set for myself. "I've been in and out of Chile and Bolivia a hundred times."

No comments: