Thursday, November 22, 2007

Bolivian Geysers

Just when you think you're out in the middle of nowhere again you stop and find these geysers. The driver warns you not to get too close to these geysers and certainly not to touch the water, as the temperatures are scalding. Given how rare geysers are in this world it is quite a humbling experience to have a whole geyser field to yourself.
You can see this geyser boiling. It spurted what seemed to be gray clay all around.
Steam rising from the geyser field.

The geysers that produced a lot of steam made a very loud hissing sound.

This was the coldest weather we'd experienced yet, as you can see Sita had her jacket on. There was also a whipping strong wind.
I still refused to acknowledge that our clever plan to evade the coldest month of the Northern New Mexican winter (February) by traveling to the South American summer had landed us in cold weather. I think this may be the last picture of me in shorts and a T-shirt though.



There was a tall rock which I couldn't resist climbing after so much inactivity in the Jeep, and as long as I was up there I might as well take a picture.

No comments: