Thursday, November 22, 2007

Rocks, Moss and Colorful Mountains

After driving for some time the driver asked if we wanted to stop at a place which seems to be a standard break point for the tourists. We said yes, for the same reason I believe most of the tourists stop at this point. We all had to go to the bathroom and there was finally something which we could duck behind, a wall of rock.

Before I used the "facilities" I was already out of the jeep taking pictures. Approaching this wall of rocks we drove through one of the parts where people make their own lanes wherever they want and this was the perfect opportunity to get up high and get a picture of it. Part of me felt it was a needless disturbance of nature, but this was overcome by the part of me that found this to be artistic and beautiful in some way.

The "facilities". This wall of rocks was interesting in and of itself but the moss that grew on it was impressive as well. These rocks outline the desert and sit at the foot hills of the surrounding red-colored mountains.
Up close you can see that the moss is made up of many green flowers you can also see drops of sap which could be found amongst this moss. Someone mentioned that the Natives of the area had many uses for this sap including as fuel (I believe).
I don't understand the mindset of those who would carve their name into this moss. Who's going to see it? Well I guess we did, but when you're there surrounded by the vastness of the desert it just seems silly.
Hey I was much more appropriately dressed on day two (I had a jacket and pants on). These rocks were fun to climb all over. I was glad we made this stop, in fact I'm pretty sure I used up all my time taking pictures and climbing on the rocks that I never made use of the "facilities".
There were some other tours that overlapped us while we were at this rock, they seemed to always be a bit ahead of us, which was quite to my liking.
More trails on the desert floor.
Where the desert floor meets the rocks.


Coming out of the green "flowers" where these yellow fruits or seed pods. I put my finger in this picture for a reference of the scale of these green "flowers".
"Which path should we take next?"
I'm glad I got at least one good picture of our Land Cruiser, we had one of the newer ones. Sita and I mostly occupied the third row of seats, sometimes switching two the second row of Seats. The lone Canadian was always in front with the driver. That blue container on top is the fuel, somebody needs to build a gas station out there, it'll be real lucrative for like 20 minutes out of the day a few days a week in the summer months.
Shortly after the "facilities" stop we made another stop to get a nice view of the colorful mountains.

This picture was taken in sepia mode, does it make it look more artistic?

"Wow!"

No comments: