Sunday, September 13, 2009

Rishikesh

We had most of the day Thursday (September 3rd) to spend in Rishikesh. At this point we were feeling like we'd been racing around, so it was nice to slow it down and just take it easy in a spot that caters to tourists. We still spent time in the car this day but we didn't leave until 3 pm.There are many popular mandirs and temples in Rishikesh this is the view of one of them from the outside. We didn't end up going in any of them as we spent most of our day eating, wandering around and getting on the internet for the first time in almost a week (we each had over 50 new emails).

I liked how these Gods are depicted playing the shakers. I bet some people believe you can attain divinity through percussion.

This monkey jumped out at me in an aggressive manner just before i got this shot. I think he thought I was going to mess with him, then he realized I just wanted a close up so he posed for me.
One of the beatific "Jhula's" or temples in Rishikesh with the Ganges and Sita in the foreground.

This bridge is busy all day with foot traffic two-wheelers and monkeys.


Dipping in the Ganges





Based on a description we received of the location, we thought one of these two places (pictured in the next three photos) was where the Beatles stayed when they came to Rishikesh, but we couldn't confirm this with anyone. Now that I've done an internet search I don't think these are the place, but they're certainly of that era.



The view from the spot where we ate breakfast.






Food that caters to tourists is awesome. We were ready for a change from paranthas, pakoras and other fried food for breakfast. This meal only cost us a few bucks.

This is the place where we ate lunch. It's right along the Ganges and we saw kayakers and rafters while we were eating. We had just been wandering around and getting soaked in the rain that's why we appear wet.


I ordered "onion rings" and I got this. They're basically pakoras with just onions on the inside. In this picture you can also see the "Guacamole" in the upper left. It was basically smashed avocado with masala in it.

No comments: